Anyone who has owned ferrets or been around people that do for any significant amount of time have probably heard the term "ferret math." Ferret owners are unique in that they constantly find themselves in situations where the number of ferrets in their household is always changing. When ferret owners use the term ferret math it is usually with a smile and what they are really saying is that they were only planning on owning 2 ferrets, and somehow now they have ended up with 4, or 6 ........ or 10. But ferret math also can have a sad connotation, in that ferrets can be prone to getting sick, and they are also prone to getting themselves in trouble because of their extremely curious nature, so sometimes ferret math refers to losing a ferret.
We recently experienced ferret math when our ferret Kyzer got sick. We lost another ferret a couple years ago, Lola, to cancer (lymphoma to be exact), and turns out Kyzer had the same cancer. He wasn't showing any signs until this last Monday night, and then it just took over very quickly, I had him at the emergency vet last night, where they kept him overnight, and this morning I took him over to a exotic pet specialist, but by then it was too late, and Kyzer didn't make it.
As anyone who has been around ferrets knows they are each very unique and have their own little personalities, Kyzer was a very interesting and funny ferret, he loved his toy snake with the squeeker in it, he always had to make sure his snake was safe, and would hide it, and walk around with it in his mouth all the time. I could always count on Kyzer to give Kristin a little nip now and again, just to keep her on her toes. : ) Kyzer also liked to watch me play the didgeridoo, but then again everyone likes the didge.
So now we have only one ferret left, Jezy, she was actually the second ferret we got and is close to 6 years old now. The pic on the left is a picture of both Kyzer and Jezy, I am holding Kyzer and Kristin is holding Jezy.
Hey Matt, I am really sorry to hear about Kyzer. I know he was kind of like a family member to you. Are you going to get another one to keep Jezy company?
ReplyDeleteAnd I agree with you about the didge...
ReplyDelete